By Liz Driscoll, WCA Director of Content Acquisition
Excitement is mounting around Willow Creek Community Church and 300 Premier Host Sites across the United States. Facilities are being prepared. Registrations are being processed. Resource centers are being stocked. Volunteers are being trained. Technology is being tested.
Prayers are being prayed that God will show up again this year – as He always does.
Maybe in your world, you are trying to get through this week’s worth of projects in three days so you can focus on the content at the event.
In the midst of all that is happening this week, try to take a little time to center yourself and prepare for what you are about to experience. We believe that God wants to impact your life this week. And a few minutes of preparation can produce huge dividends as you get your heart and mind in the right posture for the experience.
Here are 10 Ways You Can Prepare:
1. Pray. Ask God to clear your mind of clutter, prepare your spirit to learn a new truth and open your heart to hear His words to you as a leader.
2. Download the GLS15 app. This is your in-conference guide to all things Summit, including speaker bios, the schedule, links to the Summit blog, social media and fun, interactive polls. (If you downloaded the GLS14 app last year, the GLS15 app will simply be an update.)
3. Download the GLSnext app here. With this newly released resource, you can continue your learning after the Summit. Find hundreds of Global Leadership Summit video shorts organized by leadership topic (with more added each week). The entire leadership library is at your fingertips. And it’s free!
4. Watch a Pixar movie with a kid or a tween. Pull out a longtime favorite from your DVD collection or go to the theater and watch the recently released Inside Out. Discuss your thoughts about the movie. Ed Catmull will give us a unique window into Pixar’s culture and how they manage to create innovative and impactful films, every time.
5. Learn about your leadership style. Take Adam Grant’s Give & Take online assessment here.
6. Think about the last time you received really bad customer service? List the elements that made it so awful and what could have turned it around. Horst Schulze will give us a deeper understanding of the mechanics of good service.
7. Read the story of the Feeding of the 5000 in John 6. One of the Summit talks will be built around this biblical text. Whose? We’ll let that be a surprise!
8. Take Liz Wiseman’s Rookie Smarts quiz here.
9. Identify a recent time when you took a risk for a project or relationship – but something went wrong. Bring that experience to mind for Dr. Brené Brown’s session. She will help us explore healthy ways we can emerge, Rising Strong, after a failure.
10. Get social with us! “Like” The Global Leadership Summit on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Periscope. Follow the conversation happening with the hashtag #GLS15. You’re definitely going to want to post and tweet about your experience!
See you at the Summit . . .